Ok today is the day!
I should be scared, I should be excited, but I am none of these!
7am is the last time I can have anything to eat - so I am up early to have an opti-shake as my last official meal.....so not exciting at all!
Mum has the day off too - so after we have both played with Facebook and emails, we go shopping to soak up some of the time. Kate arrives shortly after we get home and time seemed to have run away! I had pre-set a text message on my mobile, with everyone's names on it and pre-filled in.....so after a quick lesson on my phone, my bags are packed and checked to make sure I have everything and I was in the shower (for the second time today) this time no deodorants, perfumes or moisturiers....and I am dressed and after a quick chat to Davin on the phone, we are off to the hospital!
The admitting staff at the Friendlies Hosptial were all wonderful! Then about 10 mins after ID checks mum and I were taken into the admit room. I thought I wasn't nervous, and felt quite calm, however when the nurse took my blood pressure I was absolutely gobsmacked! 180/120...OMG my blood pressure has never been so high! And the shock must have shown cause the nurse said they would check it again later....but bugger did I get a fright!
Mum left and then Kate and I went into the pre-op ward! I was given my pretty gown, slippers, and hat and a beautiful warm blanket!!!!! Once on the bed the pre-op nurse fitted the very 'special' stockings to assist circulation and prevent DVT's. No longer the gauze like stockings - imagine cricket shin pads -but soft strapped on with velcro - and attached to an airbed pump! They completed the outfit entirely! Kate wanted to take a photo to brighten everyone's day, but I roused on her and said no.....how mean!
The theatre nurse came and had a chat and let me know what was going to happen from here on in! Then Dr Merefield (the Anaesthetist), came to visit to - he was quizzing me about whether he had ever "knocked" me out before, but as it turns out he was my GP many years ago! The classic line for the whole day....we don't want you vomiting after your surgery because it will dis-lodge the band, so during the surgery we are going to give you 'four doses of Industrial strength' medications. Industrial strength....woo hoo!!!! Well that was it, Kate and I both got the giggles! The theatre nurse came back and gave me a heat pack for my hand (where they were going to put the canula in).
Not long after this Kate was leaving and I was wheeled into a waiting bay! It seemed like I was there forever - but I was probably only there about 5 mins, and the theatre nurse was taking me into theatre!
As soon as I went through the door there were another 2 nurses and Dr Merefield and all I could hear was Van Morrison playing on the stereo! And everyone was bopping around! Again I was asked who I was, when was my birthday and why was I here! As I was wiggling onto the cutting table! Dr Merefield had trouble finding my vein (no surprises there). Dr DeLacy came in and said hello (he did come in to say hello in pre-op, but I was in getting changed). Dr Merefield then said - ok I am putting the first of the drugs in and the theatre nurse came in and put the mask on, and asked me to start counting back from 10......I think I got to 9.....maybe...and I was out!
I really don't remember much from post op - except for people saying my name and asking could I hear them.....I do remember one of the nurses asking me to roll over to the left and then to the right to remove a sheet or a blanket (or something) out from under me, and then I was being wheeled up to the ward! Getting close to my room I could hear all of this noise - and low and behold it there was a party going on in there! Mum, Aunty Denise, Cousin Col and Jenny Fox were all there to make sure I was ok - and shortly after Kate came back too! Jenny and Col left shortly after and Karen also came to visit with flowers! I was still pretty sleepy, but was was just a little uncomfortable! Kate sent out the message letting everyone know I was ok and the responses came pretty fast! Everyone left around half past six, which left just mum and I.
The nurses were doing obs every half an hour, but my blood pressure dropped and I had to be put on oxygen for a while but other than a temperature I was fine. I tried to watch Home and Away with mum, but I was floating in and out! Mum left around eight, about 15 mins after confiscating my mobile and turning it off!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment